Vegan Chickpea Curry
This popular and tasty dish includes lots of protein, fiber, and flavor! It's easy to prepare and makes a perfect dinner.
- 2 medium onions
- 1/4 cup Vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ lime
- 2 tbsp of your favorite curry paste
- 1 can light coconut milk (1 can = 1.5 cups )
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 tsp maple syrup (sugar is fine too)
- 1 cup green veg like broccoli or zucchini (in the picture, I used zucchini and peas)
- Chop the onions, garlic, basil and juice the lime.
- Put the vegetable broth and onions into a large pan and cook on a low-medium heat until the onions start to soften and turn clear, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic for a further 1 minute.
- Add 2 tbsp curry paste and the milk, stirring until the curry is dissolved. Add another pinch of salt.
- Throw in the chickpeas (and chopped green veg if you’re using it) and soy sauce, and cook on a medium heat for around 5 minutes, bringing the curry to a boil. If it starts to burn, reduce heat immediately.
- Add the chopped basil, lime juice, soy sauce and gently simmer the curry for another 2 minutes.
If you are counting calories, this tastes great over cauliflower rice and that saves about 200 calories. If not, try it with basmati rice.