Everyone in my homes loves it when I make this hearty Vegan Shepherd's Pie. It is loaded with veggies and savory lentils and topped with fluffy mashed potatoes. You won’t miss the meat in this dish because it is so flavorful and satisfying! This recipe also reheats well so it’s the perfect make ahead dinner for busy nights.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown or green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen mixed veggies: peas, carrots, green beans, and corn
- 3 pounds yukon gold potatoes, thoroughly washed
- 3-4 Tbsp vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice any large potatoes in half, place in a large pot and fill with water until they’re just covered. Bring to a boil on medium high heat, add salt, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until they are tneder enough to mash.
- Once cooked, drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Use a masher, pastry cutter or large fork to mash until smooth. Add desired amount of vegetable broth
- (2-4 Tbsp. You could also use vegan butter, but I use broth to keep lower in calories), and season with salt and pepper to taste. Loosely cover and set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) and lightly grease a 13 by 9 inch pan
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in 1 Tbsp vegetable broth until lightly browned and caramelized - about 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch each salt and pepper. Then add lentils, stock, and thyme and stir. Bring to a low boil. Then reduce heat to simmer. Continue cooking until lentils are tender.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the frozen veggies, stir, and cover to meld the flavors together.
- Transfer to your prepared oven-safe baking dish and carefully top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the mashed potatoes are lightly browned on top.
- Let cool briefly before serving.