Stuffed peppers were always a favorite food of mine. I used to make these with ground turkey before switching to a plant based diet and I have been experimenting with the best ways to enjoy this classic meal without animal products. Making these with quinoa adds a great source of protein and tons of delicious flavor. You may also serve with green onions on top and some avocado for a complete filling, yummy, and balanced dinner.
1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 heaping teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1 onion diced
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can of corn
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
4 bell peppers, any color
1 can tomato sauce
- In a pot, add quinoa, vegetable broth, 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, herbs, and onion. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover pot and simmer for 25 minutes or until quinoa is done cooking and liquid is absorbed.
- While quinoa mixture is cooking, prepare peppers. Cut tops off of peppers and hollow out, discarding inner seeds.
- Place peppers into a large pot of salted water and boil for 10 minutes, turning half way though. Remove from water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Once rice mixture is cooked, add black beans and corn. Mix well.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder & cumin. Mix well.
- In the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish pour 1/2 can of tomato sauce and spread around.
- Place peppers on top of tomato sauce. Salt inside of peppers well.
- Fill peppers with quinoa mixture.
- Pour remaining 1/2 can of tomato sauce over the top of each pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately